Monday, March 02, 2009

Makin' it

The new phone book is here! The new phone book is here!...
I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this book every day!
This is the kind of spontaneous publicity--your name in print--that makes people!
I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now.

- The Jerk


About a month and a half ago, on the useless photo site I mentioned how some of my Urban Light photos I'd submitted to a LACMA contest were finalists.

I now can announce that one of my photos was chosen as the winner of the contest (out of over a thousand entries), and is used as the cover for an online exhibit and book, Celebrating Urban Light. (Click those links to see the exhibit and/or order the book.)

The announcement on the LACMA art blog can be read here.

Oh, and there's an article on the LA Times Culture Monster blog for which I was interviewed. That can be read here. (That same article also appeared in the Times' print edition--Calendar section, page E3, in case you happen to have that around.)

The winning shot (and below, the way it looked on the page of the paper):



3 comments:

  1. Doug:

    Let me second that!

    But if you don't mind discussing tech details...

    I have a small Canon digital camera and to take a moonshot I have to set the color balance to Daylight or the moon comes out blue. So what I do is shoot the moon with the Daylight setting, then objects like streetlights on auto-balance, and then combine the two images into one with photo-editing. Did you have to do this or does your Canon avoid blue moons in auto-balance?

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenji and Ray.

    And, um, Ray, I find myself reluctant to admit that my (now) most famous shot--okay, my only famous shot--was taken with... [cue dramatic music] automatic white balance.

    I'm not sure what magic the S3 has in this situation, but kicking the exposure down to 1/160 sec. seems to limit the amount of any shade to come through. And allows it all to be captured in a single image.

    I am a purist in that regard.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?