Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Mother, do you think I'm good enough?

Reader alert: If you have any faith in our government or the departments under its auspices, you are advised to skip this post. You've been warned.

I just finished reading Jenji's latest rant, which involved an obsessed postal worker hoarding her mail, getting caught doing so, being "forced" into retirement, and now somehow being reinstated in that job. (Which is fucked up, by the way.) And then I thought of a post by Ray where he mentioned a pattern of packages being sent to he and fellow UFO enthusiasts (I really should figure out the preferred term) that were mysteriously "damaged" in transit, having clearly been opened and re-sealed. (Which is also fucked up, by the way.) And while Jenji suggests an incompetent system whereby such an individual could get re-hired, Ray's conspiratorial angle suggests incompetence on the part of the individuals who are "inspecting" the packages.

In any case, the conclusion of incompetence running rampant in the USPS seems to be the case (at least, based on these separate and unrelated reports).

All I know is this: On Sunday I will be calling my mother ostensibly in honor of Mother's Day, but really it will be to see if the card I mailed got there on time. Or at all.

If it shows up some time in July, she could have a stalker for a mail carrier. If it shows up with the envelope opened and obviously re-sealed (with apologetic stickers), she could be under observation by some obsessive government department. And if it simply arrives on time, undamaged, that could simply indicate these outside forces are simply lying low because they now know I'm on to them.

Ignorance was so blissful. At least, I think it was. Maybe I've been brainwashed to think it was (but, due to incompetence, the brainwashing wasn't strong enough to deny me the thought of possibly having been brainwashed).

~

Yes, the title of today's post is from Pink Floyd.

2 comments:

  1. Doug,
    That reminds me, I need stamps. Thanks.
    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug,

    That reminds Jake that he needs stamps, which in turn reminds me that I need batteries.

    Thanks guys.

    jenji

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?