Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Making that certain part of advertizing bigger

Just now I had the TV on Comedy Central (a repeat of The Daily Show) and during a commercial for the "male enhancement drug" Extenze (which purports to make "that certain part of the male anatomy bigger") the screen went black and the text "A weekly test has been scheduled for this time" appeared. However, the audio for the commercial kept playing. And when the test ended the commercial also stopped, so no other ad was affected.

While I'm not suggesting this test occurred when it did intentionally, I have to say: Just hearing the disembodied voices of a man and woman talking about improving their love life without the cheesy acting to the ad made turned it from ridiculous to downright disturbing.

I never realized how important the visual element was to making commercials tolerable.

I should have grabbed the remote and muted it. I may not get to sleep tonight. Perhaps while I'm awake I'll flip around to another channel and find a commercial for some pill that will get this out of my mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?