Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hooped

I caught some of tonight's broadcast of the NBA Finals game (played here in Los Angeles) and saw a montage of highlights when the game came back from a commercial break. The music playing under the scenes: Randy Newman's "I Love L.A."

I don't know if the people who choose the music for such bits are irony-impaired, or irony aficionados.

In any case, they're clearly not putting much effort into finding the songs. Kind of obvious. I mean, there are other songs that mention the city. Sure, most of them are critical of it in some way--many more blatantly--but they are out there.

I'm just sayin'.

~

That the song gets played inside the Staples Center and it gets the home crowd riled up merely proves that many of the people here (many who moved here from elsewhere) are, either consciously or unconsciously, living here ironically.

Not sure what that says about a native Southern Californian like me, but let's not dwell on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?