Monday, June 02, 2008

Going, going, gone green

From an office-wide email sent out today alluding to the organization's "green" initiative (here trying to limit paper usage), exactly as it appeared in the message:
Did you know that the average U.S. office worker goes through 10,000 sheets of copy paper a year!

Did you know that the Average tree in one year is able to absorb ten pounds of pollutants from the air and convert 330 pounds of carbon dioxide into oxygen!

I'm not sure where this information originated, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt that it is accurate. However, I found myself thinking:

Hmm, these seem like they would be questions but apparently they're exclamations. Why are these facts being presented so forcefully?

Also, because it is capitalized in the second exclamation but not in the first I figure that must mean "Average" is a proper noun, and hence the name of a specific tree.

I hope it is indigenous to the U.S. We have a lot of pollution to get converted to oxygen. Maybe a lot of them can be planted in the space cleared from cutting down all the other, non-Average trees, for making paper.

~

Clearly I'm too busy noticing such things to really care about the environment.

~

No trees were cut down to produce this post. As far as I know.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, where's my paperless office? Are they keeping it off the market with the flying car?

    Ray

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?