Monday, September 14, 2009

Paul Westerberg does not wear eyeliner

In a piece by Sarah Vowell, "American Goth," she is transformed by goths into one of them (at least for an evening).  As precursory work they assign her tasks, one of which is to listen to the saddest song in her record collection, over and over.  Which, for her, ends up being an old country song.

(Johnny Cash.  The Man in Black.  That's at least coincidentally goth.  I digress.)

It occurred to me that the Replacements, who are generally lumped in with the '80s post-punk, college rock scene, did have a song that qualifies as goth:  "The Ledge."
The Replacements - The Ledge

It's about suicide ("I'm the boy they can't ignore / For the first time in my life I'm sure / All the love sent up high to pledge / Won't reach the ledge"), and about it being too late to be saved. 

Of course, now that I think about it more, it may not romanticize suicide enough to be goth.

The protagonist in the song probably is wearing flannel on that ledge anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?