Monday, July 21, 2008

Sticking it to me (Spam of the day)

Today I received the following email in my work inbox. Three times.

In the body of the message it indicated (and I thought):
You are receiving this e-mail because you subscribed to MSN Featured Offers. [No, I did not, but do continue.] Microsoft respects your privacy. [Really? Since when?] If you do not wish to receive this MSN Featured Offers e-mail, please click the "Unsubscribe" link below. [Yeah, right.] This will not unsubscribe you from e-mail communications from third-party advertisers that may appear in MSN Feature Offers. [Hmm. Then what is the point of clicking the aforementioned "unsubscribe" link?] This shall not constitute an offer by MSN. MSN shall not be responsible or liable for the advertisers' content nor any of the goods or service advertised. [That's for the best.] Prices and item availability subject to change without notice.
Looking at the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the message, it pointed merely to the MSN homepage. Not a special page, just to the homepage. Specious.

And what, pray tell, was so important that this purported MSN email needed to alert me about?

A link to: "Free Video Nude Anjelia Jolie"

Wow. I'm not sure who this Anjelia Jolie is, but it's quite fortunate that this sender found a nude video of her. Typing her name into Google comes up with 1,370,000 hits, and those are all redirected for the far better known Angelina. Before this Anjelia hits it big, I can have the chance to see her naked.

Looking at the properties of the link, it points to an .exe on an server with only an IP address. Hmm. That sounds more like a rather paltry attempt at running a program to install a virus.

And who would be so insistent about wanting me to see this other Jolie as a scam to infect my computer?

Me.

The sender was attributed to my old work email address (before we changed domain name), one that hasn't been in use for years.

Yeesh. I hate it when I do this to myself. At least I was apparently clever enough to get the message past the spam filters. But I wasn't smart enough to get myself to fall for it.

~

Update: Tuesday, July 22, 9:35 pm
I see from my site metering that since posting the above last night, it came up in Google searches from Pennsylvania, Romania, Denmark, Philippines, and right here in California. Clearly my old work email is still working hard, getting the word about this Anjelia around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?