Monday, July 07, 2008

Classic

A couple weeks ago I commented on the number of movies that I'd seen touted by EW as the classics of the last quarter century. Glancing over the lists for the "new classic" TV shows reveal I've watched 42 of the 100, which, while not 75% (like the movies) is still at least a reasonable number of them as well. My music collection includes more than a few of the so-called classic albums since '83. (Okay, only 30 of them, but that's probably more than the average person.)

With the list of best books, however…

I have read three. Out of 100.

And two of them are graphic novels. And one of those I only read because I did a paper in college about how comic books (graphic novels) were not merely "kid stuff" (as their reputation was at the time), and it was one of the examples I cited.

And of the three I've read, there was only one that really floored me, and which I would enthusiastically recommend (Watchmen). And that's being made into a movie, due for release next year, so within another year one could just a well see it on the big screen (although undoubtedly without capturing all its nuance).

I suppose now is an inappropriate time to mention I was an English major (and clearly not much of one). It's certainly only a matter of time until my alma mater finds out and rescinds my degree.

~

Recently I was in Borders, using up a gift card I'd received. Of the books I purchased, I only got one in the fiction category, and it came out 39 years ago. Slaughterhouse-Five.

I'd been meaning to read it, as I have enjoyed other Vonnegut novels, and it was available in a small paperback that wasn't too expensive and which (more important) fits in the back pocket of my slacks, so it's easy to carry and read on the train.

It's not getting me closer to being able to claim to have read anything from the last 25 years, but it may just keep me from losing the ability to claim myself as a college graduate.

2 comments:

  1. That's because you don't read enough. I've only read 19, but that doesn't count the ones I started but never finished, the one I'm currently reading, or the ones that I own and are in my "to be read" pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting how many of the top 100 books were made into films; mostly crappy films.

    Anyway, I'm putting Watchmen on my list of things to do and in case you haven't read it yet, I'd like to recommend Persepolis. I just finished it and I truly thought it was fantastic.

    I rented the movie today...
    I hope they didn't ruin it.

    be well,
    jenji

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?