Friday, July 11, 2008

i-Gad

On Friday morning the new iPhone came out. And the producers of the local CW affiliate, the oldest LA station (KTLA), thought it would be good to send a reporter (sic) who had a ridiculously condescending attitude about technology down to cover people waiting in line for it.

The footage is available on the station's website (at the moment--on the News tab, scroll down to the "iPhone 3G Debuts - Eric Spillman" link), where our intrepid microphone-wielding bundle of abject journalistic integrity asks people waiting in line if they prefer gadgets to people, and (I am not making this up) if they have seen a woman naked.

At 3:55 in the video he gets called out by the guy to whom he asks the latter question, who quite accurately identifies it as "kind of Jackass." And the reporter (sic) accuses the man of lacking a sense of humor.

Were it me in that scenario and I had the inspiration to retort with what comes to mind now, I would have come back with: "I have a good sense of humor. And if you say or do anything humorous I'm sure it will let me know."

Boo-ya! (Of course, had I been there--not that I would have been there, but hey, it's their lives--it would not have come to me when the camera was on me. Such is the way these things go.)

A reporter (sic) for a local station assigned to cover the release of a new device really is in no position to consider himself superior to anyone, least of all people motivated enough to queue up overnight outside a store.

Mostly he should be happy nobody in line gave him the ass-kicking he most certainly deserved.

~

For those of you who live in other parts of the country: This is why you should hate L.A. It's not that we are destroying so-called traditional values with some "Hollywood agenda"; we're simply embarrassing ourselves with what we allow to be broadcast on our morning "news" programs.

~

Why do I not move away? 1) Because I was born here, and 2) I figure I need to stay to keep the percentage of non-morons from going any lower than it already is. I am holding back the storm of idiocy as much as I can. Which isn't much, I admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?