Friday, February 22, 2008

Seeing stars

Walking home from the train station this evening I walked right past the red carpet area for the upcoming Academy Award ceremony. The area was surrounded by tourists snapping photos of each other in front of the large Oscar statues decorating the covered portion of Hollywood Boulevard outside the Kodak Theater. However, I didn't even glance over at them, much less bother to take out my camera and take a single shot; it's the same thing as last year. (And every entertainment reporter who is out here for the Oscars is broadcasting from this spot, so if you have watched any news in the last few days you've seen what it looks like, whether I have photos or not.)

As I continued on the way home I glanced up at the night sky. The clouds had moved on after a couple days of rain, which had cleared away the usual haze of smog. I noticed a speck of light in the darkness overhead, and then another, and then another. I paused and looked up for almost a full minutes; I was able to identify the stars in the Little Dipper.

The tourists outside the Kodak were interested in something they don't see every day; half a mile away, so was I.

(If there was any chance my camera would get a decent shot of stars, I certainly would have taken a picture of them. But for those of you who live outside of L.A., you probably already know what they look like.)

1 comment:

  1. Doug, Nice "living in the moment" post. I thought I had seen the stars before. Then in 2006, I saw them from the Andes. (about 11,000' elev.) Words cannot descibe what they were like.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?