Sunday, February 10, 2008

Don't root for me, Argentina

Pertinent information that I admit with some reluctance: Ever since I registered to vote (a couple decades ago) my political affiliation has been a lack thereof; I have been in the decline-to-state category. In past years when I was asked to what party I belonged and I replied I had none, almost without exception the person with whom I was speaking would then note that I didn't get to vote in the primary election.

As though I was unaware of that.

I would nod in pale acknowledgment of the person's statement, and try to move the conversation in another direction. Invariably such people were thinking in us-and-them terms, and I was thinking in me-and-everybody-else terms, so we had no common ground for debate. I fully accepted their desire to vote in the primaries, but it seemed that desire paralyzed their mind from accepting my lack of desire to be involved in that.

I would vote in November. (Never for the person who got elected, but I'd vote in the general election. In 2004 I even tried to give support to Kerry, and well, we saw how that turned out.) I allowed the die-hard politicos have their say in the primary; I would make up my mind from amongst who they chose.

~

This year, as a non-partisan voter, I had the opportunity to participate in the Democratic Party primary election (which, for the first time ever, was part of the vaunted "Super Tuesday"). Thus, the whole rationale that had been presented to me over and over in the past about party affiliation was only applicable if I had any interest in helping the Republicans choose. Which I did not.

However, on the side that was letting me take part, I did have something of a preference. This unusual sensation, combined with opportunity, inspired me to request a Democratic ballot when I got to my polling place (minutes before they were to close). And I got to punch one more hole in the ballot than I otherwise would have (on the non-partisan ballot). Woo-hoo.

In under 90 minutes the news was already calling the state. For the candidate whose hole I did not punch.

And thus you may understand why the opportunity to vote in a primary never held much sway in trying to persuade me to affiliate myself with a particular party. On the surface, the primary election was merely another chance to see the candidate I supported not get supported by a majority of other voters (and I get plenty of that from the general election), but deeper it revealed that my support seemed to be a curse. I'm not saying I understand how it works, but once was a fluke, twice was coincidence, and five times is an undeniable pattern.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the supporters of an Illinois senator. I brought my curse to bear in something that I shouldn't have been part of in the first place. I assure you I won't stick my nose in there again in 2012.

~

I should also say to the fans of the Super Bowl champion New York Giants: You're welcome.

Although I was kind of rooting for your team (as the underdog), I never believed they had a chance. Even as the game wore on, and the Giants were outplaying the Patriots, I was convinced that Tom Brady and company again would be hoisting the Lombardi trophy when all was said and done. They wouldn't deserve it, of course, but that was beside the point.

However, it seems my utter lack of faith in Eli Manning and "the G-Men" was sufficient to allow them to pull out their last minute victory.

~

Ah, if only I could harness this negative influence in some lucrative way. However, I am certain that it only "works" by genuinely believing (or genuinely not believing, as the case may be) in what I'm supporting; if I asked for payment to root for the opposition, in a sporting contest or political election, in a ploy to achieve the desired outcome (victory for the other side), undoubtedly Fate would see right through that.

I can't fake it. Heck, I don't know how I do it, but I'm sure I can't fake it.

~~~

Update on February 15:
At my polling place they didn't tell me about this extra bubble on the ballot I apparently needed to fill in for my vote to count (as a non-partisan). Hence, that further proves that my mere act of attempting to vote for one candidate is enough to influence others to vote for the other candidate in larger numbers. My vote need not count to have power over the universe.

Yowza.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?