Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A visit to the mailbox

Way back in May when we were sending out the wedding invitations we addressed one to Barack and Michelle Obama, at the White House.


It wasn't just a stunt; we were offering a legitimate invitation for them to attend. Obviously we had absolutely no expectation of them showing up, much less that it would even be acknowledged. But we had enough invitations and stamps to spare, and it cost no more postage to send it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue than any other address.

The wedding came and went back at the end of June, and the first couple was not in attendance, which was precisely as we anticipated. The day turned out great. Their absence took nothing away from the event.  Personally, I didn't think of them at all that day.  Silly me, I was focused on, you know, getting married.

Then yesterday evening I got home and, as I do every day, I checked the mail. Amongst the bills and junk I saw a small, cream-colored envelope. It was hand addressed to both of us, with our full names.

In the corner the return address identifies the sender: The White House.


I knew immediately what it was regarding. Our wedding invitation is the only thing we've sent to the White House, and it's one of the few things that has had my full name on it.

I dared not open it before my wife got home. I knew she'd want to be there when the envelope was pried open.

When she got home I met her at the door, gave her a kiss, and then handed her the envelope. She looked at the return address, paused, and then started to cry (much as she did a year ago on election day) tears of joy.

She was too excited to perform the task so she handed it back for me to open, carefully, without damaging the envelope any more than absolutely necessary. And then when I was being too methodical she took it back and we tore a cautious hole along one end.

Inside was a note, embossed with an emblem, with a message wishing us well on our wedding.

At the bottom were the signatures of the president and first lady.

It may have been a stamp, but nonetheless there were their signatures. On a card that had been sent to us.  From the White House.

And only six months after we sent out the invitation. Given the economy and the wars and health care, I'm kind of amazed it showed up that quickly.

~

It's undoubtedly best that the first couple did not attend the ceremony back in June. As exciting as that might have been, I have to imagine Secret Service padding down all our other guests would have been something of a distraction. And I cannot help but think them being there would have taken the focus off of us. It's the one day it does get to be about us, so that would have been something of a bummer, I must think. I'm just sayin'. No offense to them.

So the card is better. Whenever it showed up.


5 comments:

  1. awesome...only you two could have pulled this off! I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still kicking myself over the fact that I used "Mrs. Michelle Obama," rather than "First Lady Michelle Obama."

    Ugh. I guess that's what happens when you address envelopes for 3 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful memory (keepsake) to add to that most memorable day! I'm sure the First Lady will forgive your protocol slip...she touched the Queen...she knows those things happen!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?