Friday, August 15, 2008

Thanks for coming

Every so often I check who has stopped by my humble little spot on the web by looking at the details of visits according to SiteMeter. And while what it tells me includes nothing about the person, it does tell me the page visited, the time of the visit, the browser used, and the city and country of the ISP.

(It's kind of a benevolent Big Brother situation.)

So I discovered that yesterday at 3:30 pm I got a visit where a Google image search directed the visitor to this post from last year.

It's a picture of an amazing Simpsons cake my fiancee got for my birthday years ago; the post I titled "Best. Cake. Ever." (a play on one of Comic Book Guy's lines).

Not only did the person come to the site, but he or she stayed for over three minutes (an eternity in internet chronology), looking at three other pages. (According to the data, most visitors who find a post of mine through a search tend to view only the page in question, so this is quite impressive to me.)

And from where did this visit originate? Georgia.

Specifically, the city of Tbilisi.

Yes, that's the capital of the republic of Georgia. You know, the country where Russian tanks are still on periphery of the capital.

I'm not sure whether this is a subtle indication that the cease-fire was, at least yesterday, allowing Georgians some free time, or whether it's just that the power of the Simpsons cake trumps even fears about invading Russians. Would that really make it the best cake ever?

~

To be clear: I don't mean to make light of the unresolved military situation with the tone above; I very much mean to make light of myself.

I'm not changing the tagline on the site to "Giving comfort in a time of crisis" or anything, but if there's even the slightest possibility that even just this once a post provided a moment of needed distraction for someone in this world, it certainly makes my humble efforts seem worthwhile.

~

In an interesting coincidence, I also got a visit yesterday from Georgia, U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?