Wednesday, February 08, 2006

If only they were being ironic...

Another recent fortune cookie fortune:


I'm not entirely sure if my high school English teachers would allow me to declare the following to be oxymoronic were I to do so in a term paper (and were I still in high school), but I could probably make a case for it: "You are a connoisseur of food and drink" coming from the restaurant "Panda Express".

That aside, one cannot help but wonder what the original draft of the fortune (to the extent it's a "fortune") said. I suspect before it was edited, the composer of this one, perhaps having a bad day at the office (or wherever it is he works), wrote:
If you are a connoisseur of food and drink like you think you are, you shouldn't be eating here.

However, there's no way that would make it past the boss. It's not so much that it's potentially insulting to both the company and to the customer; it's that it's true.

Truth is the last thing anyone wants to encounter in a fortune cookie.

Still, the boss, needing to pump out a lot of these fortunes, wasn't going to let the kernel of worthwhile delusion go to waste. Gotta admire that lemonade-out-of-lemons attitude, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?