Saturday, September 22, 2012

Why Museums Confuse Me

Earlier today my wife and I visited the Getty Villa, seeing (among other things) their exhibit on Pompeii. Afterward we stopped in the museum gift shop, and I noticed this book on a shelf on that topic, called Pompeii: The Living City:

Okay. Fair enough.

Then I glanced down directly two shelves and spotted this book which features the exact same painting for its cover:
How to Read Erotic Art.

So, uh, is that painting supposed to make me sad for the victims of Vesuvius or turned on?

Or are there a limited number of paintings that publishers can use? It seems like there were plenty in the museum; conceivably there must be others.

This is why I should just stay out in the gardens at the Getty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?