Friday, January 22, 2010

AT&T is letting something go to waste

AT&T and Verizon have been waging advertising war in their commercials lately, with Verizon touting their coverage area and AT&T retorting with Luke Wilson.

In this latest AT&T spot Luke starts off with the line: "Whether you use AT&T or Verizon, chances are at the end of the month you're gonna have some unused minutes laying around..." and then goes on to highlight that company's "rollover minutes" benefit, where those minutes are not wasted.

Watching that, do I find myself inclined to switch to AT&T? No.

Is it that I don't care about keeping unused minutes? No. Is it that I find Verizon's coverage to suit my needs? Eh, haven't really had to push it.

So is it that Verizon is really that much better? Maybe, maybe not, but I do know this: I don't feel any need to sign up with a company who puts presumably millions into getting a celebrity for a series of ads and can't even freakin' hire someone who paid enough attention in high school English class to know that the unused minutes would be LYING around, not laying around.

Clearly they are trying to market their cell phone plans to people who don't know the correct term, so I must conclude they don't want my business. As such, they shall not get it.

If only their copywriters could harness those unused brain cells...

2 comments:

  1. Or maybe the advertiser rooked you.

    "Us Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch!"

    "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should."

    Bad grammar has been used to attract attention through controversy.

    Of course, Luke Wilson ain't a motivator to switch, except for hip knuckledraggers.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?