Monday, August 17, 2009

Married men

One of the best aspects of having the wedding out of the way is not merely being free from all the planning and decision-making and preparing. That is all marvelous, of course, but those were an unavoidable situation in regard to executing the nuptial event. No, the benefit I have in mind pertains to being married, and how that puts an end to the incessant jokes one must endure from already-married men when one is on the verge of taking the proverbial plunge.

At work, at social outings, and even at family gatherings of my (at the time still pending) in-laws, the men would make quips about how it wasn't too late to get out. That would be followed by the ubiquitous anecdotes about how after the first year the sex would become sparse, and then the warnings about how all my money would be gone.

Yeah. Ha-ha.

It's not that I failed to grasp they were kidding around (well, mostly so), but there did come a point where I struggled with feigning amusement. I know that individually they were only making the joke once, but cumulatively they passed the point where the novelty had worn off long before they (individually) stopped making the joke. They (individually) seemed to overlook that likelihood (that I'd heard the joke already way too much). Presumably they'd gone through this hazing (of sorts) back when they were engaged, and now was their turn to partake in the other side.

As the groom to be I had to grin and bear it, because it was meant in a good spirited way; to get annoyed would make me that asshole who had no sense of humor.

And that, they would argue, I shouldn't be until after I got married.

~

Whenever I find myself talking with someone who is preparing for marriage, the only thing I intend to say is this: It has its ups and downs, but if you're with the right person it is completely worth it.

That may or may not make the person feel better, and may not even apply to his situation, but at least it won't be the same old attempt at humor that he has put up with presumably since he popped the question.

Of course, with my luck that sort of sentiment will be what he has heard too much of.

I'll understand the strained smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?