Thursday, November 29, 2007

More reasons you're glad you're not me

It's important to keep in mind that no matter what you think or believe or do that there's someone else out there who thinks it's stupid. I am using "stupid" euphemistically in that context; it is merely a pithy way of indicating "there's someone who disagrees with it being prudent or allowable that you think it or believe it or do it"; it's easier to summarize that as "stupid."

It is a ridiculously broad assertion to make; that point must be conceded. I further concede that I have no supporting evidence other than general observation of the world (more specifically, my perception thereof). I expect that if such a statement jibes with one's beliefs about the world one will agree with it and if it does not then one will disagree; I am not trying to convince anyone of anything he or she isn't already convinced of. The reason is simple: I do not need you to agree with it. I was not convinced of that by having someone else tell me it but merely by coming to it myself (to the extent that any idea can be reached by one's self alone).

If someone reads this and considers it "stupid" that will only serve to support the assertion. It may be in the form of reacting dismissively, considering it lazy and cowardly to make no effort at persuasion, even though I explained the reason for that.

Here's the thing: As long as this theoretical person comes to his/her conclusions on his/her own about why it's lazy and cowardly, I fully respect that.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes.

    Your shrewd observation and euphemistic use of “stupid” is anything but stupid, as I believe that “stupid” is indicative of and indeed a diagnostic criteria for a chronic condition known as the “no-win situation.”

    If one believes that this chronic condition is “stupid,” then I suppose one will once again manage to prove a point.

    By the way, please don’t confuse “stupid” with “shut-up,” as the latter is used as a bait-and-switch technique to avoid humiliation and/or conversation and the former is used to execute humiliation and confrontation.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=HIVnwYGU9Qo

    But what do I know? I'm just sayin'

    I believe that I may have to expand upon the "no-win situation" on my blog in the very near future. Certainly I will reference your original post as my inspiration, as you so kindly did with mine.

    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shrewd! And here I thought I was just kind of rambling. I wasn't even thinking about someone shutting up someone else out of a belief of that other person's "stupid" belief, but that certainly is one way this situation manifests itself.

    Glad to be of inadvertent inspiration, Jenji. You took this in a direction I didn't have in mind, and that's what I love about this.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?