Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Please don't look at this

The other evening I was taking some pictures in the area not far away from the office, getting in some more practice with my new camera. Then I took this shot:


Then a man in a navy blazer approached me and informed me that they would prefer no pictures be taken of the building. I raised no fuss. I put the lens cap on, smiled to seem as un-terrorist-like as possible, and walked away.

So as to not assist the enemies of our nation, I won't tell you what building this is, nor where it is.

I post it here only as a public service: If you see a building that looks like this, please refrain from taking pictures of it.


Or just cross the street and shoot away.

1 comment:

  1. Doug:

    Welcome to the club. That is, the club for photographers within their rights who get hassled by fuckheads.

    Did you poltely ask the man who he was? Did he ID himself as a security guard or police officer? If it happens again, politely turn it around on the asshat bothering you. Ask him what authority he has to stop you from taking pictures. If you're on public property (the sidewalk) he can pound salt up his backside.

    Even if the building has trademarked/copyrighted architecture, from what I understand -- and I'm no lawyer -- you can still take shots for non-commercial reasons.

    The only time you can be hassled is when you're on private property (such as a shopping mall) and don't comply with the request to stop taking pictures. Once again, I'm not a lawyer, but this is what I understand from looking into the matter.

    Anyway, lawyer or not, I'm tired of this post-9/11 paranoid bullshit.

    Ray

    PS: Next time ask the asshole if he has seen his building on Google Earth. I like to see his reply to that one.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?