Thursday, June 05, 2008

Start your rhetorical engines

From the holy-crap-Doug-is-touching-on-current-events-is-this-not-a-sign-of-the-Apocalypse? department:

First, full disclosure (and recapping): I don't watch much in the way of political TV coverage (other than The Daily Show—to the extent that counts), read much in the way of political coverage in newspapers or magazines or websites, nor listen to much in the way of political coverage on talk radio. Thus, I am probably not well prepared to say anything about.

No, check that: I definitely am not well prepared.

Nonetheless, a thought that occurred to me recently, which is not that clever at all: Now that Obama has essentially locked up the nomination, Hillary Clinton can become the bright, shining proof of misogyny in our society for those who feel compelled to try to convince others that sexism still exists.

(Of course sexism still exists. Perhaps I missed a memorandum or something, but I was already well convinced of that. No need to expend energy about that on my account.)

Had Clinton won, Barack Obama would have become the undeniable evidence of racism in our society. However, as the presumptive nominee he must be the lone beacon of hope that our country has overcome its past regarding race relations. But for those who wanted to be able to cite him in their arguments that America still has issues with race, there's still the distinct chance that he'll lose the general election in November—to an old white guy, nonetheless—at which point he can then be transformed into that proof of just how hideous we really are.

(Again, I fully concede, with all sincerity, that racism is present. Consider me already converted to that viewpoint, if you must.)

It's a free country (or at least they want us to think so), and if it makes you feel better to think that there's a conspiracy of white men keeping you down (which, honestly, there may be, for all I know), that is your right. (No, really. I concede it sounds sarcastic, but in this case it's sincere.)

However, to think because a candidate didn't get nominated or elected proves that conspiracy is something of which—no offense—you won't be able to convince me.

I have no interest in changing anyone's opinion in the matter, so I shan't argue that the outcome of the primaries or the upcoming general election disprove any conspiracy. Everyone is free to believe as they wish; personally, that is what I like best about our country.

(Really.)

So all I'm saying is that for me, and just me, I don't happen to consider Clinton as representative of all women nor Obama as representative of all African-Americans. They may represent certain groups, but those are not as broad as all people who happen to have certain physical traits, or they may be far more broad than merely sharing physical traits.

So, in short, it's not that simple. For me. Which is to say that I gain nothing from considering them to be thusly representative.

Obviously in a republic such as ours the politicians are intended to represent us, the people. I accept that begrudgingly. I am represented by myself, and that's it as far I wish to go, but I have to let it be some politician I've never met, and ultimately about whom I genuinely know little.

But again, that's just me.

Anyway, I have no intention to seek out proof that there are individuals who are claiming Hillary Clinton proves the glass ceiling on women in America. I could be completely wrong. There may not be a single person who will make that argument (or something to that effect). And if not, nothing would make me happier about where we are as a nation (to the extent that I can pretend that the absence of such arguments proves anything about where we are as a nation).

This is merely the crap my screwed-up brain comes up with when not distracted by television.

Anyway... If I've done anything with these words you are convinced of this: I do not represent you. Of course, if I've really done anything here you weren't convinced of anything at all.

~

When someone inevitably cites this post as proving… whatever thesis this proves about something being wrong with whatever group I'm supposedly representing (individualists?), all I ask is that a link to the post be included.

I'm not generally included as part of whatever lunatic fringe you are alleging I am, but it might be fun to see how many hits I get because of it. Just for kicks.

Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Great post.

    I know this comes as a HUGE surprise to you Doug, but I of course blame 24-hour news and their incessant loop o nonsense and overwhelming need to fill every waking minute of air-time with distraction, conspiracy, triviality, fear and hate.

    I also blame the moronic, drone-like viewers who are unable or unwilling to compartmentalize, analyze and categorize the going's on of the world without the direction and suggestion of an individual wearing a lavolier mic, frankly b/c it's easier to let someone else do the thinking.

    But, that's just me, you misogynistic, racist swine!

    but be well anyway,
    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given your previous record of sycophantic love of the media, Jenji, this seems so out of character for you.

    So, those myriads posts of yours weren't ironic?

    Hmm...

    Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?