Thursday, March 11, 2010

What do I know? Apparently it's big corn dogs

Something I learned from keeping tabs on who visits my little corner of the internet: I am a citeable reference.

~

Every so often I glance at the details provided by what sitemeter tracks about the instances of someone connecting their browser to this site.  That can show the location of the ISP, the time and length of the visit, and occasionally include the URL that directed the visitor here.

From looking at this data even informally over the years it is obvious that one post of mine gets the most hits from web searches. It was true a year and a half ago, and it's still true now. That post? This one from July of 2007, wherein I described a trip my wife (when she was still merely my girlfriend) and I took to the Orange County Fair and encountered... the world's largest corn dog. (At least that's what the sign said.)

There's photos and everything.


However, if you read it, it's not an attempt to document that behemoth batter-dipped frankfurter; it's a tongue-in-cheek tale of how we imprudently attempted to tackle eating at the end of the day, and how we failed.

Still, as evidenced by its popularity since then, there's a lot more people out there who are interested in deep-fried cornmeal and meat on a stick than I would have ever realized otherwise.

~

Which brings us to this past Monday, when someone was referred to that very post by a site called ChaCha. I'd never heard of that before, but apparently it's a place where one can ask questions and have "real people" (as opposed to fake people?) answer them. (Presumably for when they are feeling too lazy to just run the search themselves.)

The question asked? You guessed it: "How big is the world's largest corn dog?"

Here's what that page looks like, at least as of the time I write this:

Now let's zoom in a bit on that footnote (of sorts) at the bottom, at the "Source" used for that answer:

That's right. The person answering cited my post as proof of how big that corn dog is. Even though the "approximately 18 inches" I mentioned was merely a length that seemed about right when I thought back upon the event a week and a half later.

Little did I realize at the time I was chronicling that magnificent weiner for historical purposes.

So, until the rest of the world comes to its senses (or discovers this post), it would appear I am the world's foremost authority on the world's largest corn dog.

You're welcome.

2 comments:

So, what do you think?