Wednesday, June 07, 2006

So it comes down to this

For some time I thought there were simply a finite number of competent people in the world, and with any luck the rest were restricted to positions where they couldn’t cause too much trouble. Now I know there are a finite number of competent people and an even more finite number of them who bother to give a shit.

Taking on the responsibility for seeing that something gets done competently is often the mistake made by the competent and stupid. The smartest people are the ones who know better than to be at all smart.

5 comments:

  1. Yes and no. I actually composed this a couple weeks ago, but didn't post it until yesterday; I suppose I thought I'd make more of it, but eventually realized it encapsulated the general idea sufficiently. The idea applies every day, so it was rather arbitrary when it was put up. Must have short entries every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have a point, but I disagree with the spirit of the message.

    Don't misunderstand me. I stuggle with this all the time, but I would much rather go down swinging than being complacent any day.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hold on. There's someone I can swing at? This is a whole new ballgame. If you happen to visit again, Ryan, please elaborate on who. Up to this point I have relied on feigned complacency to keep me from committing homicide, but if there's some middle ground that won't result in my in prison, I'm all ears. Thanks.

    p.s. No one is supposed to agree with the spirit of this (although, sadly, I suspect many would).

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?