Sunday, April 04, 2010

Who cares?

Over the years of having a blahg I've only garnered a few people (whom I didn't already know) who continue to follow it. Of course, theirs are a few of the sites I follow myself, so that reciprocity is not entirely surprising. There was something to the tone and style they used that suggested we had some modicum of similarity in our outlook on the world.

While a diversity of personalities and beliefs ultimately is what makes life interesting, in those with whom we choose to surround ourselves (literally or figuratively) we do prefer some significant commonality. That's not any sort of revelation.

Of course, even amongst what appear to be similar people there are differences, and thus a big part of what allows the perception of similarity is being vague, at least regarding topics about which people will feel passionately. One might say that seems duplicitous; I say it's avoiding the unnecessary alienation of others.

Now, it's tricky for me to find others who are that similar, as generally the main topic about which I'm passionate is not being terribly passionate about topics. That, however, can be alienating to those who are passionate about topics, so it's a fine line to be walked (so to speak) when composing these meandering posts of mine.

I do think that the majority of people are fairly indifferent about a lot of things, and that the minority who are passionate are who get the attention, whether they represent that majority in any way or not.

However, I'm not passionately of that belief.

3 comments:

  1. Ha, "blahg."

    I agree, you find yourself wanting to self-censor so that you don't alienate your readers. I do that to some degree - I suppress some of my more irritating screeds, and when I do let one through, I make sure to release some regular inoffensive chaff with it, to avoid totally pissing off my readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post over three times over the last few days. Maybe there was too much meal in your mouth or mush in my brain. You point is that you don't have a point? Or am I missing some subtle sarcasm without the tildes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray, your tenacity is admirable (albeit not at all what I was expecting). It's also flattering that you think I have any idea what I'm doing.

    Or don't I?

    Apologies for any extent to which I've blown your mind.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?