Friday, April 02, 2010

Something for the fine people who supported Prop. 8

Bumper sticker idea for those who voted in favor of Proposition 8 (or other similar initiatives in other states):

"I believe that marriage should only be between a man and a woman, and because unconsciously I believe my irrational insecurities should be the basis for state laws I vote to prevent same sex marriage. I don't mind the implicit dissolution of the separation of church and state when I use religious dogma as justification because I delude myself with the perception that the founding fathers didn't really mean that part to be important. No one is trying to use some other religious doctrine to inhibit me doing whatever I want so thus I consider it perfectly acceptable to do that to others."

Well, that's probably a bit long for a bumper sticker. We may need to paint that across the back of your SUV--unless, of course, you'd be open to wearing it on a t-shirt, or having it tattooed across your forehead (sure, it would have to been in small letters to fit, but a talented tattoo artist should have no problem with that). Whatever works for you.

2 comments:

  1. I think you mean "proposition." ;-)

    I would have voted for 8, if I had the misfortune to live in California. Not because I hate gay people (I have several gay friends, even had gay roomies who have indeed seen me naked), but because I (a.) resist their attempts to wield political power beyond their numerical strength, (b.) resist their attempts to change social norms to fit their ideals, and (c.) resist their attempts to intimidate and abuse those who disagree with them. The louder they scream and threaten and attempt to intimidate people, the stronger I resist. It's alien nature. It's certainly nothing personal. And it's certainly not religious. I have little use for religion. And God must certainly be disinterested in such minutiae. He certainly hasn't weighed in on the discussion, regardless of what some lunatics suggest. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvin, your free proofreading skills are much appreciated. Alleviates the need for me to pay attention.

    Now, about your comment, I must admit you've made me think. I was too narrow-minded. There's more than one message we should have available to be tattooed on foreheads.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?