Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The horror, the horror

I admit with some shame that I have seen some episodes of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. I've never set out to watch them, but given how much E! airs them, it's difficult to avoid if one turns on that channel at all.

But there I'm trying to distance myself from the show. I saw it. I am admitting I did. Should I be ashamed?

No. I merely am nonetheless.

The thing that fascinates me is that I can't help but think that they really don't come off looking that good. Kim and the mother especially (in my opinion) seem hideously self-absorbed. It may be clever editing, but I have to imagine, by virtue of them signing on for a second season (after presumably seeing the first), that they don't mind. Or they don't see it that way.

Which is pretty much how hideously self-absorbed people would see it, I imagine.

I don't need cameras following me all the time and editing that down in 22 minute chunks to have something to be ashamed of. I have the blahg here, where I get to be solely responsible for my own undoing.

Which is almost certainly worse. I am not completely self-absorbed, and at times I think I'm even slightly self-aware, and yet here we are.

At least I'm not mocked on The Soup (the one show on E! I watch without shame). Of course, if I were, I'd undoubtedly be getting a lot more hits on the site.

It's a mixed bag, this whole having-a-shred-of-dignity thing.

(I said only "a shred.")

5 comments:

  1. "I admit with some shame that I have seen some episodes of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. I've never set out to watch them, but given how much E! airs them, it's difficult to avoid if one turns on that channel at all."

    I admit with no shame at all that until I'd read your blog today I'd never heard of the Kardashians.... I still wish that was true... damn you Doug... damn you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There I go again, ruining it for everyone.

    Hey wait. Greg, you work in TV. You list the Nielson ratings in your blog. Are you saying you never venture away from the networks and ESPN? Well, allow me to open your world a bit more: All those other channels on your cable (or satellite) show programs, too.

    Not all of them are soul-crushing like this Kardashians one. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm telling you, the ass is hypnotic...

    I love it when Joel from The Soup refers to Kim et al, "as a girl who's famous for having a big ass and a sex tape and her dead behind the eyes sister"

    If you start to watch the new Denise Richards or Dina Lohan reality shows, I'm going to be forced to organize an intervention, Doug.

    It's for your own good, man.

    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already want to punch Momma Lohan and Charlie Sheen's ex in their respective faces just from the ads that E! has run. Actually seeing the show would... not be good for the world at large (I fear). Ergo, I will avoid them, for everyone's benefit.

    But thanks for caring, Jenji.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will never, ever, EVER worry about "accidentally catching" La Lohan or the Fleiss Prostitute on TV. Even I have standards (which are about as high as Kim's arse).

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?