Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Take me out to the Balls game

At the stadium, some players have intro music that gets played when their name is announced just before they come up to bat. To the best of my knowledge that the players themselves choose which song (portion thereof) gets played.

At the game the other day, I noticed some of these songs for the Dodger players. Nomar Garciaparra gets War's "Low Rider", for example. Another player (I cannot remember which one, but that may be for the best) had the opening riff of a particular song played as his intro music.

It was from AC/DC's famous Back in Black album. However, it was not the title track, or the popular "You Shook Me All Night Long".

It was this one:

"Given the Dog a Bone"

(For those of you unfamiliar with the song's lyrical content, you can read that here.)

Yes, it's about what you think it's about: Felatio. (Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and BJ's. Fun for the whole family.) Of course, when played prior to each at-bat, the song fades out before any of the words kick in, so no one who is unfamiliar with it would even know. Think Blue!

So while most of the crowd was eating their extra-long Dodger dogs oblivious to temporary irony, I was reminded of something that has long bothered me, because of my way of looking at things: the title. On the album it definitely reads "given" (as in the past participle of "give" or as an adjective), although the lyrics clearly indicate they mean "giving" (present tense of the verb).

Bon Scott may have drunk himself to death, but when he was the singer they could at least conjugate.

~

Maybe if we do the wave no one will notice. (I did participate in that, although I didn't stand up; I just kind of flung up my arms from my seat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?