Thursday, July 08, 2010

Reason #949 why having a blog is awesome

Checking the site metering I have set to monitor the visitors to this corner of the Web I can see not only when some browser connects and from what part of the world but sometimes even how they were referred here. That can include the specific search terms that were entered for which a post of mine came up in the results. And no matter how much I think I know about the 'net-using world this information enlarges my insight into that in ways that I could not have imagined.

A few days ago someone in one of those rectangular states in the middle of our fine nation typed the following into Google: "hot vibrator songs". And apparently that led them to this post of mine (presumably because one of the songs I included in my list of the 225 I theoretically couldn't live without was the Vibrators cover of Motorhead's "Vibrator"--but that did not even crack the top 50). I say "apparently" because I couldn't find it when I explored the specific results pool (after clicking through 19 pages' worth--I won't include a link here because, well, you can probably guess what shows up in that sort of search), but maybe if I dug deeper I would have come across it.

Now, if you think that I was shocked that someone in the Midwest would be looking for vibrator songs you would be wrong.

What's amazing is that the person thought he/she needed to include "hot" in with those other two terms. Would anyone want a cold vibrator song? Is that even conceivable?

I contend it is not.

Also, clearly people who would search for such things have a lot of time on their hands if they can go through enough results to find my humble (and undoubtedly disappointing from their perspective) page. But that isn't any sort of revelation.

Thanks for dropping by, regardless of what brought you here.

1 comment:

  1. I try not to look at what my visitors were searching for, because I'm usually disappointed and/or horrified. ;-)

    Me, I come here on purpose. I'm not looking for anything in particular but an interesting thought. Which you always provide.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?