Sunday, August 30, 2009

Biting the hand that feeds... again

Sometimes I get so frustrated with computers that I want to go back in time and prevent their successful invention in the same way that some people want to go back in time and stop Hitler.

I am not exaggerating for effect. Alas.

And yes, I am not oblivious to the likelihood that in order to travel through time would involve calculations that only computers could provide, and thus to go back and make it so they never could be developed to the point where they could be used for manipulation of time would in itself create a paradox. And yes, I am certain that even if one did travel back and prevent computers from being invented as they were in the timeline we know, all that would do is make it so someone else ended up inventing them. I know.

I didn't just fall off the proverbial hackneyed science fiction turnip truck.

Computers were destined to dominate modern life but still suck. I get it. (And the fact that somehow my computer refrained from sucking long enough to allow me to type this does not let it off the hook.)

Thus we can take some solace in knowing that they'll never actually rise up and overthrow humanity; they'd have to stop sucking consistently, and then we'd know what they were planning, and could stop it.

And if we didn't in time, well, then there's always that time-travel option.

Wait. Wasn't I ranting about something?

Digressing calms me down. Probably because it doesn't require a computer.

1 comment:

  1. Global Thermo Nuclear War

    Would you like to play a game?

    jenji

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?