Sunday, April 05, 2009

What about me?

Last week Stephen Colbert had a trenchant piece about narcissism where he stole my Facebook joke (noted in this post from last month). That being: updating one's Facebook status by noting one is updating one's Facebook status.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Me Time - American Narcissism
comedycentral.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorNASA Name Contest


(He then furthered it with a follow-up about Twittering that he was updating his Facebook status, including a line that one could read about it on his LiveBlog).

Okay, I'm not suggesting anyone from the Colbert Report saw my post from a while back where I discussed the time I, in fact, posted a status about updating my status; my site metering doesn't indicate that as likely. And I'm not suggesting it isn't a rather obvious thing to do; it would be easy for the Colbert writers to think of it on their own.

Still, there is a tiny (slightly pathetic) part of me that feels slightly validated by the Colbert bit. All my Facebook friends who, at the time I did (in fact) update my status with "Doug is updating his Facebook status," considered it a cheap cop-out can… well, not suck it, as such a response is not warranted… carefully reconsider their tepid criticism of my wit.

Every once in a while I am as clever as people whose job it is to be so.

~

That is a rather narcissistic thing to say, isn't it?

~

Of course, that joke was only apropos when Facebook's status prompt said: "What are you doing right now?" The new Facebook status prompt has changed to: "What's on your mind?" While that is far more appropriate for what most people enter in that field (because, as noted in the joking status referenced above, the only totally accurate response to what one is doing now would be to say one is updating one's status), it technically changes what that text represents from a "status" to a "thought."

And in a deeper analysis, that renders the Colbert bit slightly less clever, being slightly outdated. (This is the one time I'll be a tiny bit more clever than someone whose job it is to be so. Please just let me have this moment. I mean, as long as I'm apparently being narcissistic anyway…)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?